The cannon that sits in front of the library has been part of our town history since it was brought to Marlette in 1899 from Fort Monroe, Virginia. It was obtained by the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.).
The Fort Wayne Military Museum in Detroit researched the markings and numerals on the cannon and determined that it was cast at the Tredegar Foundry in Charleston, SC, in 1859. The 'US' on the top of the cannon indicates it was cast on order from the Government, probably for use in the civil war.